A Brief Mission

I feel stronger already.

After researching for hours, I learned so much about online hate and harassment.
To start, I did some of the suggested reading. I particularly liked the read on the digital gender gap; Men get called names, while women experience emotional, severe forms of harassment, often leading to higher rates of sexual harassment, stalking, and sustained abuse. It's a mans world ey? *yawn*

This culture mission wasn't very pro-active. There wasn't a lot of "doing" to do, but more "understanding." After a bit of research I sat back and contemplated changing missions, with only a few days to go, because I felt like I had nothing to show for my work. I then realised that this mission might have a greater impact on me and my fellow students, more so than one where I was on my feet with it 24/7. This mission would be nothing if I didn't do my research. I physically could not get up in front of a lecturer and a room full of students and try "shite-talk" my way through this one, you have to know what you're talking about. This is why I stuck with it.

I read through pages and pages about online hate, online harassment, trolls, bots, sock puppets, the list goes on. I learned about the birth of online trolls, Brice Wellington; a "famous troll", how to spot an online threat, and how to fight internet propaganda. I put all this knowledge into my powerpoint for my presentation and I'm really excited to spread my findings with everyone, if even one person benefits from what I say then I'll be happy!

I found my research very successful with this mission. I did a lot of reading and, thankfully, there was a lot online on this topic (obviously). If I was to do it again I'd probably track more hashtags and read more into how to protect myself online, but that can be done any time in my own time!

I'm really glad I chose this mission to do. I could have went the easy route and done something I'm more used to like YouTube, or Blogging, but I wouldn't have the knowledge I have now to deal with the online hate that comes with things like YouTube. I can now handle and tackle them knowing I have the ability to do so!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is Safe Anymore?

Art of The What?

Gif Me A Break!